Address: Liburnijska 7a 51414 Ičići, Croatia
Phone: +385 (0) 51 704 187 • Fax: +385 (0) 51 705 624
E-mail: tz-icici@ri.t-com.hr • www.icici-tourism.com





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

History of Ičići

The name of Ičići (during the Austrian period known with the elegant name of Ville d’ Ičići) surely has been derived from the name of the inhabitants of the neighbouring place of Ika. The Mali Raj (Piccolo Paradiso) restaurant, which has been recently reconstructed and redecorated with the construction of another flat, has been constructed on the same place where during the Austrian period a water pump station has been constructed for supplying with fresh water from Klara stream some parts of Opatija.

At the side of the turn of the road over the restaurant, the German occupiers prior their retreat in April 1945 from this territory threw into the cavity the corpses of local patriots, in whose memory a tablet with their names has been put up.

Motel Ičići has to-day only the sea-side part, while the other part over Venezia pizzeria, after having accommodated displaced persons from Eastern Slavonia during the 1991-1995 war, has been reconstructed and transformed into a residence. Near the place where this building has been erected, in XVII century there was a plot with a three-flat baroque-style building, erected by the Society of Jesus, the fragments of which are in the time being visible in some neighbouring gardens.

One of the most attractive villas of Liburnian sea-side is surely Secession-style Münz villa, constructed in 1903 by Jakob Ludwig Münz, a stone-worker and owner of stone-pits in Southern Tirol (Austria) and constructor of the well-famous Grand Hotel of Pula. He was a promoter of the opening of the bus line Rijeka-Pula. Ludwig Münz arrived at Opatija in the capacity as partner of Alfred Wrede, the concessionaire and founder of the tram service, which from 1908 to 1933 has linked Matulji and Lovran. The Villa, whose cellars were full of malvasia wine, has been nationalised in 1948 and took over by Syndicates and after that by a Macedonian Children Organisation; recently the villa was the accommodation of displaced persons from Podunavlje, and finally in 1999, it has been acquired by the Hoppers, a Croatian-American couple.

During the period of the Münz’s, Ičići was already a respectable and attractive residential zone and in this regard the names of noble families and well-known societies are linked to the plots of Ičići of that time.

The Istrian real estate company owned Villa Triestina and competed with Münz society for buying some plots between Ičići and Ika, under the road; the plot and villa were possessed by Ljudmila Leszczynska, and further by her daughter Ljudimila married to Dornbach from Lvov, and further by Münz family, while at the end by Emilija Schudy married to Motika. At Ičići the famous architect Karl Seidl showed his capacity, designing a villa for Tomašić family of Opatija; other villas as Colore and Milly had a significant success from the architectural and financial point of view. At this regard it is worth underlying the

sanatorium for lung illnesses, the peak of which has been reached during the management of sr. Slobodan Marin; unfortunately, recently this hospital has been closed and demolished. Near the villa of Ludwig Münz in 1990 a marina has been built, which carries on the maritime tradition of Ičići, that was in the Medieval Age a significant port for wood, coal, slack lime, oil, wine; in 1873 it has to be enlarged and in 1881 it was reconstructed.
The Gas Works has to represent at the beginning of XX century the so-called industrial boom of Ičići. In fact, “Manoschek” (Gaswerksbau- und Maschinen-Fabriks Actiengesellschaft Franz Manoschek in Wien), a the company of Vienna requested in 1912 the licence for laying gas pipes. But, the Širola, Gašparić, Peršić, Blažić, Bačić, Andrejčić and Barbić families, as well as Munz and the famous landowner Marijan Zambelli were contrary to the construction of the gas works, submitting a petition with 160 signatures of the local inhabitants. A great adversary to the gas works at Ičići was Julius Glax, who submitted a report on hygiene of sanatoriums. The project of construction of gas works did not succeeded as the Municipality of Opatija-Volosko did not want to prolong the term for laying the pipes from 31st December 1918 to 31st December 1919. In the same time, the well-known lawyer Đuro Červar brought a suite against the Municipality for the monopolistic contract of 1915 with Manoschek, underlying that the contract was harmful for the interests of the Municipality in the same time as the monopolistic contract for electrification of the town signed in 1896 with Scanavi company was for the Opatija.

Today Ičići is a well-known tourist resort, the standard of which is guaranteed by the blue flag for the quality of sea, what ensures, together with the natural attract

iveness, a long-term perspective of development.

Extracted from article by Amir Muzur

 

Food & drinks

RESTAURANT COMMODORE
RESTAURANT GALEB
PIZZERIA BUSOLA
BISTRO LUČICA
BISTRO VENEZIA
BISTRO SUNCE
VINI BABILONI
CAFFE BAR MONTE CAPRA
PIVNICA TRIESTINA
CAFFE BAR CALYPSO
CAFFE BAR ROŽICA
CAFFE BAR RARA IČIĆI
CAFFE BAR SUNSET